Thursday 1 November 2012

Jacks!

I had an enjoyable day out on Tuesday, I've had this week off for half term so Ive been keen to get some time away from the kids and the decorating!

So Tuesday I visited a local canal, everything seemed perfect, the weather, the water condition and the atmosphere. I started off with the fly rod and it wasn't long before I had action from a couple of feisty jacks.

 
I fished on but it was getting difficult to find swims with good access and room for a back cast as by now the banks were quite high and I was having to drop down into the waters edge. I had allot of time left so decided to make the most of it and head back to the car for a swap of tactics. I put my waders on which would enable me to access allot more water getting out to the edge of the overgrown margins. I switched the fly outfit for my ultralight outfit, this canal has a very low average size of pike in the 2-3lb bracket so the ultralight outfit would be perfect to enjoy them. I'd sorted a box of lures out the night before and had include some 9.5cm savagear soft 4plays, I'd bought them when they came out as you do but had never really got round to giving them allot of water time. I use the 19cm ones, but have never used the smaller ones as i tend to use other lures as favourites when fishing ultralight.
I rigged the small ones onto the lip skulls and I have to say they were perfect for the venue, they run at just about the right depth, not too deep that they catch the weed and cabbages and not too shallow, they would run just above the cover which was ideal. it was really good fun flicking them out into all the tight places and likely looking areas and the pike really responded to them. I was getting follows and takes and most that took where connected only dropping a few off. Most pike were of the usual small size but I enjoyed a couple that were abit bigger over the 5lb bracket with the fish below being the biggest.
 
 
I ended up with 8 pike all together but it felt like more due to the follows and missed takes. Looking forward to going back and trying again with the soft 4plays and they will now get more water time!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment